July 12, 2022
Practice Expectation Spotlight
Practice Expectation Spotlight: 2022 Scope in Your Practice is This Year’s Jurisprudence Module
Each year, registrants complete a jurisprudence module in order to demonstrate Continuing Competency requirements as outlined in the College of Registered Nurses of Manitoba General Regulation. Jurisprudence, by definition, is the study of the law. The College is committed to selecting topics which have the most potential to maximize benefit for the public.
It is anticipated that the topic selection process will:
- Identify RN learning needs
- Identify areas where the public is most at risk from poor quality nursing practice
- Identification of a jurisprudence module topic that will provide greatest value to the public and registrants.
- At times, CRNM will work collaboratively with other regulators to develop a learning module that has application across disciplines
We are very excited to let you know that this year’s jurisprudence module is titled “2022 Scope in your Practice”. This module is now available and is a requirement to renew your certificate of practice for 2023.
Enhancing your understanding of scope of practice in Manitoba is important to provide safe, competent and ethical care. This learning module will teach you to:
- understand how entry level competencies, client need, health-care human resources, legislation and practice directions shape the scope of practice for registered nurses in Manitoba
- identify reserved acts authorized to the profession of registered nursing
- explore the difference between the legislated scope of practice of the profession and your individual scope of practice
- understand your responsibilities related to scope of practice including the reserved acts
- apply a process to determine if an activity is within the legislated scope of registered nursing practice
- apply responsibilities related to scope of practice to changes in practice environments, advances in technology and emerging issues.
How do I access the modules?
- Log in to your CRNM Profile using your registration number and password.
- If you do not know your registration number, you can find it by searching your name on Nurse Check.
- If you have forgotten your password, click “forgot my password” and enter your registration number. You will receive an email with a link to reset your password (please note this will be sent to the email address we have on file for you).
- Click the “jurisprudence learning module” button on the top right-hand side of your profile.
What is Lessonly?
- Our modules are built in Lessonly, a cloud-based learning system that allows you to complete modules in short lessons. When you log in to complete a module, you’ll see the “Learner’s Guide to Lessonly” module – feel free to complete it if you want to learn more about how to navigate through a module.
*Each module takes about one hour to complete*
For more information, please contact us:
- Telephone: 204-774-3477 ext. 658
Toll-free: 1-800-665-2027 ext. 658 (Manitoba only)