Temporary Practice, Pandemic Service Provision
Expedited temporary registration process to enable enhanced service provision during COVID-19 pandemic
The College of Registered Nurses of Manitoba (the College) has worked with colleagues in government and has received a ministerial order allowing the College to expedite registration of those who meet registration requirements.
Application package: Temporary Practice, Pandemic Service Provision (Effective April 1, 2020)
This application package is for you only if you meet the following criteria:
- You are a former registered nurse in Manitoba, or you are currently registered as a registered nurse in good standing in another Canadian jurisdiction, AND
- You currently hold a valid certificate of practice free of any conditions or if you are a former registrant of the College, when your registration/certificate of practice expired, your membership with the College was in good standing. This means that it was not suspended or cancelled; you did not leave on a voluntary surrender; you do not have any unfulfilled requirements as a result of a decision of the Complaints Investigation Committee; and you are not in arrears for any outstanding money owed), AND
- You meet one of the following currency of practice requirements:
- Have practiced a minimum of 1125 hours in the previous 5 years (between 2015 and 2019), or
- Have practiced a minimum of 450 hours in the previous 2 years (between 2018 and 2019), or
- You passed the NCLEX-RN in the past 4 years (between 2016 and 2019), or
- You completed an assessment of prior learning (such as a clinical competence assessment) and successfully completed any remedial education required by the College based on the learning needs identified by the assessment
- Practice hours must have been accrued working as an RN in a Canadian jurisdiction where English language proficiency was required for registration eligibility. Please review College Policy AA-27 Registration in a Public Health Emergency for additional information on registration requirements.
If you do not meet all of the above requirements, please do not submit an application to the College for Temporary Registration and we ask that you refrain from calling or emailing the College about temporary registration.
We ask for your patience and understanding in that our team is working well above normal service levels and we are working to process applications in the timeliest manner possible. We are aiming to focus our efforts on the review and processing of applications from individuals who are eligible for temporary registration at this time.
The College is waiving the application and registration fees for this process, and the Government of Manitoba is covering the cost of professional liability protection.
Open All : Close All
- Who can apply?
The College is currently taking applications for temporary registration from individuals who have held registration in Manitoba or who are currently registered as a registered nurse in good standing in another Canadian jurisdiction.
- What are the registration requirements for this application?
Applicants will need to meet the requirements laid out in the application form, including demonstrating currency of practice. Please review the application package to determine whether you meet all of the requirements.
- What fees are required?
The application and registration fees will be waived for this application process.
The fees for professional liability protection through the Canadian Nurses Protective Society (CNPS) will be covered by the Province of Manitoba.
- How long is a temporary certificate of practice valid for?
A certificate of practice issued via this process will be valid for a period of four months, and will also be eligible for extension as required/appropriate.
- Can I contact the College if I have questions about my application?
Please understand that our team is working well above normal service levels and is working to process applications in the timeliest manner possible. Unfortunately, this also means that our ability to respond to most individual phone calls or emails about the application process is greatly limited. All interested individuals are encouraged to read and review the application package thoroughly.
- Where and how do I send my completed application package?
Completed application packages can be scanned, or photos taken at a suitable resolution to ensure legibility (for example, with a smartphone camera), and sent to email@example.com.