Did you miss the renewal deadline? Apply for reinstatement.Read more
Temporary Practice (Pandemic Service Provision)
Expedited temporary registration process to enable enhanced service provision during COVID-19 pandemic
The College of Registered Nurses of Manitoba (the College) has worked with colleagues in government and has received a ministerial order allowing the College to expedite registration of those who meet registration requirements.
Temporary Practice, Pandemic Service Provision (Effective December, 2022)
If your certificate of practice in the RN Temporary Practice (Pandemic Service Provision) membership class is expiring and you wish to continue holding registration, you will need to submit a new application to the College. To avoid interruption in your registration, please submit a new application a minimum of 5 business days prior to your current expiry.
This application package is for you only if you meet the following criteria:
- You are a former registered nurse in Manitoba and when your registration/certificate of practice expired, your membership with the College was in good standing. This means that it was not suspended or cancelled; you did not leave on a voluntary surrender; you do not have any unfulfilled requirements as a result of a decision of the Complaints Investigation Committee; and you are not in arrears for any outstanding money owed), AND
- You meet one of the following currency of practice requirements:
- practise as an RN for a minimum of 1125 hours in the five years immediately before you are applying
- practise as an RN for a minimum of 450 hours in the two years immediately before you are applying
- have been a former registrant of the College and completed an assessment of prior learning and successfully complete a course of instruction based on the learning needs identified by the assessment
Before you apply, please be aware of recent changes to the RN Temporary Practice (Pandemic Service Provision) membership class:
- There is now an application processing fee due with applications as well as a registration fee for the four month registration period. There is more information on the fees below.
- Background check documents are now required and must be submitted as part of your application. For more information on these required documents, see the background checks fact sheet.
- Employer confirmation is now a requirement. To be eligible for temporary registration in the pandemic service provision membership class, applicants must identify their prospective employer and the specific position or type of work they will be performing while registered. The position or type of work must be temporary in nature and specifically related to pandemic service provision ie. immunizations, Covid-19 screening etc. If the position is not related to a specific pandemic service need, the applicant will not be eligible for temporary registration in the pandemic service provision membership class. Those who wish to practice in a position or area outside of direct pandemic service provision are encouraged to consider applying for RN registration.
A full list of registration requirements can be found in the application package. If you do not meet all of the registration requirements, please do not submit an application to the College for Temporary Registration and we ask that you refrain from calling or emailing the College about temporary registration.
We ask for your patience and understanding in that our team is working well above normal service levels and we are working to process applications in the timeliest manner possible. We are aiming to focus our efforts on the review and processing of applications from individuals who are eligible for temporary registration at this time.
effective December 23,2022
|Item||2023 Fee total (includes GST)|
|Application processing fee||$215.25|
|Certificate of Registration||$52.50|
|Certificate of Practice (4 months)||$173.25|
|Certificate of Practice renewal (4 months)||$173.25|
The cost of professional liability protection from the Canadian Nurse Protective Society may be covered by the Government of Manitoba if you are returning to practice for a temporary period of time specifically to assist with pandemic service provision; or you are currently registered in another Canadian jurisdiction and are obtaining registration in Manitoba specifically to assist with pandemic service provision.
Once approved for registration, registrants are asked to refer to Shared Health Manitoba’s website for deployment opportunities. Visit https://sharedhealthmb.ca/covid19/providers/jobs/ for a list of current opportunities.
Frequently Asked Questions
Who can apply?
The College is currently taking applications for temporary registration from individuals who have held registration in Manitoba or who are currently registered as a registered nurse in good standing in another Canadian jurisdiction.
What are the registration requirements for this application?
Applicants will need to meet the requirements laid out in the application form, including demonstrating currency of practice. Please review the application package to determine whether you meet all of the requirements.
What fees are required?
There application processing fee due with application is $215.25 (incl GST). The registration fee for a 4-month temporary certificate of practice is $168.00 (incl GST) may be waived by the College if you are returning to practice for a limited period of time specifically to assist with pandemic service provision; or you are currently registered in another Canadian jurisdiction and are obtaining registration in Manitoba specifically to assist with pandemic service provision.
The fees for professional liability protection through the Canadian Nurses Protective Society (CNPS) will be covered by the Province of Manitoba.
How long is a temporary certificate of practice valid for?
A certificate of practice issued via this process will be valid for a period of four months, and will also be eligible for extension as required/appropriate.
Can I contact the College if I have a question about my application?
Please understand that our team is working well above normal service levels and is working to process applications in the timeliest manner possible. Unfortunately, this also means that our ability to respond to most individual phone calls or emails about the application process is greatly limited. All interested individuals are encouraged to read and review the application package thoroughly.
Where and how do I send the application package?
Completed application packages can be scanned, or photos taken at a suitable resolution to ensure legibility (for example, with a smartphone camera), and sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.