Continuing Competence Program (CCP)
NEW: Watch for our CCP Guide coming spring 2017
2017 CCP Forms Webinar
About the CCP
The CCP is a comprehensive program that helps you maintain and enhance your practice. By completing the annual requirements, you assure the public that you are committed to maintaining and improving your competence as a registered nurse.
What do I need to complete?
In order to renew your registration for 2018, you will need to complete the following two items by Dec. 1, 2017.
1. Complete the Jurisprudence Learning Module
You must complete the 2017 jurisprudence learning module titled “Documentation and Record Keeping” in order to renew your registration for 2018. This module covers the requirements of documentation and record keeping, how to keep personal information secure and private, how to document when working in an interprofessional team and more. Click here to launch the module or click here for more information about jurisprudence.
2. Complete Parts A and B of the Continuing Competence Program Forms
Registration renewal will be open Oct. 1 to Dec. 1, 2017. Make sure you complete Parts A and B before you complete your online renewal application for 2018.
Please note we have updated the 2017 forms since they were first released in January. If you downloaded the forms before Feb. 24, you can still use them and do not need to download the most recent versions.
Select the appropriate forms to download:
What are the components of the CCP forms?
Part A: Self-Assessment
This part of your forms helps you maintain your practice by giving you the opportunity to:
- review the expectations the public has of you regardless of your practice setting, domain and/or role,
- review the legal reference that describes reasonable and prudent nursing practice, and
- self-reflect on your practice and take action to improve where you may need to.
Looking for tips on how to reflect on your practice? Click here to complete our reflection exercise.
Part B: Self-Development Plan
This part of your forms helps you enhance your practice by giving you the opportunity to:
- grow as a professional by identifying a learning goal that is relevant to your practice setting and over and above the learning that is required to maintain your practice,
- plan learning activities that will help you achieve your learning goal, and
- document how your learning impacted your practice and assess whether your goal was met.
Part C: Practice Hours
This part of your forms helps you estimate the number of hours you worked in 2017. If you are working casually or have unpredictable hours, make sure you track the hours you work throughout the year. The minimum number of hours that you’re required to work are:
For information on how to calculate practice hours, please refer to the following fact sheets:
- Is My Practice Registered Nursing Practice?
- Assessment of Registered Nursing Practice Form (Word document)
- Calculating Practice Hours for Registration Renewal
Parts D & E (optional)
You must complete parts A, B and C of your CCP forms each year. In addition to these mandatory requirements, the forms also include two optional parts:
- Part D: Jurisprudence Learning Module Notes. Use this section to take notes while completing the 2017 jurisprudence learning module titled “Documentation and Record Keeping”.
- Part E: Learning Activities. Use this section to keep track of learning activities that are not related to your self-development plan in Part B.
More information about how to fill out your forms will be shared in our CCP Forms Tutorial webinar.
Keep your completed CCP forms for five years. If you are selected for the CCP review you will need to refer to your forms for the years requested.
Each year, RNs and RN(NP)s are randomly selected to complete the CCP review. If you are selected for the review, you are required to complete all CCP review requirements by Dec. 1, 2017. Click here for more information.
Allison Leveque RN BN, Practice & Standards Consultant
Toll-free: 1-800-665-2027 ext. 189 (Manitoba only)