Continuing Competence Program (CCP)
The CCP is a comprehensive program that helps you maintain and enhance your practice. By completing the annual requirements, you assure the public that you are committed to maintaining and improving your competence as a registered nurse.
What do I need to complete?
In order to renew your registration for 2019, you will need to complete the following two items by Dec. 1, 2018.
1. Jurisprudence Learning Module
You must complete the 2018 jurisprudence learning module titled “Reserved Acts in Practice” in order to renew your registration for 2019. This module focuses on the reserved acts RNs can perform under the RHPA, including which require an order and/or additional education. We'll launch this module in the new year and will let you know when it's available. Click here for more information about jurisprudence.
2. Parts A and B of the Continuing Competence Program Forms
Registration renewal will be open Oct. 1 to Dec. 1, 2018. Make sure you complete Parts A and B before you complete your online renewal application for 2019.
Select the appropriate forms to download:
Note: If you become registered OR your registration is reinstated after Oct. 1, 2018 you do not need to complete these forms to renew your registration for 2019. However, you will need to complete the 2019 forms to renew your registration for 2020.
What are the components of the CCP forms?
Part A: Self-Assessment
This part of your forms helps you maintain your practice by giving you the opportunity to:
- review the expectations the public has of you regardless of your practice setting, domain and/or role,
- review the legal reference that describes reasonable and prudent nursing practice, and
- self-reflect on your practice and take action to improve where you may need to.
Looking for tips on how to reflect on your practice? Click here to complete our reflection exercise.
Part B: Self-Development Plan
This part of your forms helps you enhance your practice by giving you the opportunity to:
- grow as a professional by identifying a learning goal that is relevant to your practice setting and over and above the learning that is required to maintain your practice,
- plan learning activities that will help you achieve your learning goal, and
- document how your learning impacted your practice and assess whether your goal was met.
Part C: Practice Hours
This part of your forms helps you estimate the number of hours you worked in 2018. If you are working casually or have unpredictable hours, make sure you track the hours you work throughout the year. The minimum number of hours that you’re required to work are:
More information on how to calculate practice hours is available on page 6 of the CCP Guide.
Parts D & E (optional)
You must complete parts A and B of your CCP forms and estimate your practice hours each year. In addition to these mandatory requirements, the forms also include two optional parts:
- Part D: Jurisprudence Learning Module Notes. Use this section to take notes while completing the 2018 jurisprudence learning module titled “Reserved Acts in Practice”.
- Part E: Learning Activities. Use this section to keep track of learning activities that are not related to your self-development plan in Part B.
More information about how to fill out your forms is shared in our CCP Forms Tutorial (2018 tutorial coming soon).
Keep your completed CCP forms for five years. If you are selected for the CCP review you will need to refer to your forms for the years requested.
Each year, RNs and RN(NP)s are randomly selected to complete the CCP review. If you are selected for the review, you are required to complete all CCP review requirements by Dec. 1, 2018. Click here for more information.
Toll-free: 1-800-665-2027 (Manitoba only)